Lilac syrup may sounds super complicated and time consuming, but it really isn’t! It’s a perfect little project to do with friends, family or kids. It’s as simple as just picking some gorgeous lilac flowers, making a sugar solution which you pour over the flowers, let sit, and voilá! Something you can be proud of and brag about while knowing you barely had to lift a finger.
This syrup is packed with the beautiful, light, and mild flavour of lilacs. Not to forget, it’s perfect on ice cream, pancakes, cakes like this one, or in summery/springy drinks. Enjoy!
Lilac Syrup – Super Simple
Super simple yet so rewarding! This syrup is packed with the beautiful, light, and mild flavour of lilacs. It’s perfect on ice cream, pancakes, cakes like this one, or in summery/springy drinks.
- Yield: Around 4,5dl, a large jar's full 1x
- Around 4 dl / 1,5 cups lilac florets (not branches)
- 240g / 8,5 oz sugar
- 2,5dl / 1 cup of water
- 2–3 blueberries for colour (can be omitted)
- The juice of 2 lemons
- Start by removing the florets from the branches. Make sure to not get any green parts, and have patience since it’s so worth it. Rince under cold water and place in a large clean bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the sugar and water to a boil till the sugar dissolves. Take it off the heat, add the blueberries, and let cool until luke warm.
- Once luke warm, add the lemon juice, and pour over the flowers. Let sit in room temperature for 2-4 hours and then over night in the fridge. Pour into clean, disinfected jars. Use up within a week or freeze into ice cubes. It’s perfect on ice cream, pancakes, cakes like this one, or in summery/springy drinks.
Keywords: lilac syrup, syrénsirap, syrén, bakning, enkelt, simple, easy, quick, recept, recipe, vegan
This is delicious! Thank you for the recipe – a new summer staple for me. I love lilacs.
The pleasure is all mine! Me too, they’re simply lovely!
So glad to hear! You made my day!