As you can tell by the recipes on here, I’m way more of a chocolate person than a fruity dessert person. However, after getting some suggestions from close ones, and being introduced to things like lemon curd, I must say I have gotten a much greater appreciation to fruity flavours in dessert. Here, I’ve combined one of my favourite snacks/dessert, crumble bars and a rich and ultra citrusy lemon curd with an addition of poppy seeds. The balance of sweet and acid is to die for, and I just love pie/crumble bars with their nutty and slightly chewy crumble and bottom. They’re in a way elegant and impressive yet super simple. You couldn’t ask for much more!
You can make these with regular plain flour and syrup, but also switch to maple syrup and gluten free oat and almond flour, which I also use in most of my other crumble bar recipes. In case you like the sound of crumble bars, I can recommend checking out my selection of anything from Salted Caramel & Pear Crumble bars to Strawberry Crumble Bars.
Definitely let me know if you try these out and enjoy!
Lemon Curd Crumble Bars with Poppy Seeds
The combination of a rich and citrusy lemon curd, poppy seeds, and nutty crumble in the shape of a bar is pure heaven! Super easy to make, and perfect on the go!
- Yield: 9 hearty bars 1x
Bottom and topping
- 100g / 3,5 oz rolled oats
- 120g / 4,2 oz flour*
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (can be omitted)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp cashew butter (or other nut butter)
- 6 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice
Lemon curd (for vegan follow Kakboken’s and translate if needed, or use around 250g store bought)
- The juice of 2 large lemons + zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 180g / 6,3oz granulated sugar*
- A pinch of salt
- 100g / 3,5oz margarine or butter, in small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and prepare a square pan by greasing and lining it with parchment paper. My pan was 18×18 cm / 7×7 inches.
- In a medium bowl, put the rolled oats, flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt. Using a large wooden spoon or such, give the dry ingredients a mix.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the nut butter, liquid sweetener, and vanilla. Add the mixture to the dry, and using your hands crumble together. If too dry, add a slash of water.
- Transfer 2/3 of the crumble to the prepared pan. Press and spread out the crumble evenly to all corner. Prick it all over with a fork and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- If using store bought curd, skip this. Start with preparing a water bath. In a heat proof bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and start cooking over the water bath stirring every minute until thickened. It may take up to 15 minutes. Take the bowl off the hob and stir in the margarine/butter.
- Transfer and spread the curd onto the baked bottom. Top with the remaining crumble and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Take out, let cool and set slightly, cut up and enjoy.
*You can use both plain flour or for example I used 35g almond- and 90g oat flour
**can be decreased to 90-135g or subbed for sugar free sugar alternative. It’s 2dl in volume.
Keywords: lemon curd pie bars, gluten free, glutenfri, crumble, vegansk paj, nyttig, hälsosam, glutenfri, gluten free, vallmofrön, poppy seed, fika