“Kärleksmums” is definitely one of Sweden’s most loved but slightly underrated treats. It actually is a stable to make for Valentine’s day here in Sweden most probably because “Kärlek” means love and “mums” is yum in Swedish. Not only is it ultra chocolately and decadent tasting but the name screams Valentine’s day! However, you can obviously make these any time of the year for any occasion. Perhaps to bring to work, for your partner, family or why not yourself! Hey, remember to take care of yourselves, guys, because you deserve it.
In addition, this “kärleksmums” is both gluten free, vegan, and pretty darn wholesome/healthy. They’re perfect for basically anyone regardless of allergy of preference as long as they like delicous food.
Enough rambling, enjoy!
You know by now how much I love making GIFs, hehe. Just look at that texture!
Kärleksmums A.K.A. Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Coffee Glaze and Shredded Coconut
Kärleksmums is a classic and nation wide loved Swedish treat consisting of a chocolate cake topped with a coffee chocolate glaze and shredded coconut. Kärleksmums directly translated even means “love yum” which implicates how delicious it is.
- Yield: 9–12 pieces 1x
- 75g / 2,6 oz oat flour
- 50g / 1,75 oz cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milled flax or chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 200ml / 1 cup minus 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 25g / 0,9 oz coconut sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 60g / 2,1 oz pitted dates
- 20g / 0,7 oz nut butter of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g / 0,7 oz dark chocolate, melted
Glaze + topping
- 1 tbsp strong coffee
- 30g / 1 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener, room temperature
- A pinch of salt
- A handful of shredded coconut for topping
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and prepare a brownie/cake pan. My brownie pan was 18 x 18 cm / 7 x 7 inches.
- In a large bowl mix the oat flour, cocoa, milled seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a blender, blend the milk, sugar, dates, nut butter, and vanilla smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Add the melted chocolate and give another stir until incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the cake tin and bake for 18-21 minutes or until a tooth pick runs clean.
- While you let the cake cool place the coffee and chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until the chocolate has melted, add the liquid sweetener and salt, and mix until you get a nice glaze.
- Take a piece of cutlery and, using the end of it, poke small holes into the cake. Transfer and spread out the glaze on top of the cake, top with shredded coconut, and let set in the fridge or room temperature. Cut up and enjoy!
If you’d like the glaze layer to be thicker, just double the glaze measurements above.
Keywords: Kärleksmums, vegan, chocolate cake, gluten free, healthy, oil free, coffee
Thanks for the amazing recipe, this is a really nice kärleksmums! I love that the recipe is somewhat healthy and the resulting cake is not too sweet. Keep up the good work!
I’m so glad to hear you liked it! I couldn’t agree more about the fact that it is more chocolatey and not as overly sweet as the original and classic version. Yum! Thank you for your comment, and I promise to keep up the work. 🙂
Hello Hanna, Can I use coconut butter in this recipe?
As long as the coconut butter is completely smooth, I see no reason to why it wouldn’t work. 🙂
Thank you so much dear. Can’t wait to try it. 😍
I’m just happy I could help. 🙂 Definitely let me know how it goes! <3
Yes. I will. Previously also I tagged you in Instagram after trying your recipes.
Oh, what is your username? 🙂 I look forward to seeing it anyhow.
I will private msg you.