About a year ago, my boyfriend made me the only thing he bakes, banana bread with the addition of whey protein powder. Basically, he didn’t measure anything and just threw everything together, and well, it came out as this dense brick but it did have a good flavour. So, I decided to make it for him, properly and deliciously. I started out making adjustments to a classic recipe. I realised that if you add a little extra baking powder you can switch out all the flour for protein powder without harming the texture. This makes the banana bread both gluten free for those who are celiac and a delicious way to consume your protein! For the past two weeks, this has been my boyfriend’s breakfast since it is not only absolutely delicious, but it also has 15g protein per 100g! Despite all the protein powder, it’s not gummy, dense nor dry but fluffy, moist and simply delicious.
Hope you give this a go and love it much as my boyfriend does! Your new favourite snack!
Just look at that texture!!
Fluffy Protein Banana Bread with Whey
This truly is the perfect breakfast or snack! 15g of protein per 100g right to the biceps in the shape of a fluffy, delicious, moist banana bread. It’s not gummy, dry nor dense despite being gluten free and protein packed. YUM!
- Yield: 1 large loaf 1x
- 125g butter or margarine
- 180g sugar or sugar free alternative for caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 400–500g banana, very ripe and well mashed
- 160g vanilla whey, I used Tyngre’s Vaniljdrömmar*
- 4 tsp baking powder
- A hearty pinch of salt
- A large handful of chocolate chips or nuts of choice for topping
- Preheat your oven to 175C/350F. Grease and line a bread tin with parchment paper.
- Using an electric whisk or kitchen assistants, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add an egg at a time, and then add the mashed banana.
- Once everything is incorporated, add the whey, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until smooth, but not longer than that.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin, top with your favourite toppings, and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick runs clean. Let cool, slice up, toast, and enjoy!
*Use a high quality whey that you like the taste of. The taste of the protein powder will affect the taste of the banana bread. This is not a collaboration with Tyngre, I just like their products.
NOTE that the calories down below is with 180g sugar and no sugar free alternative.
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 30g (with regular caster sugar)
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: banan bread, bananbröd, protein, gluten free, banana bread, bread, banana, banan, bröd, glutenfritt, protein, packed, filled, whey, whey protein, healthy, sugar free, sockefri, utan socker, without sugar, vassle, vassleprotein, Tyngre, vanilj, vaniljdrömmar, recipe, recept