Ugnspannkaka is a Swedish thick pancake baked in the oven. It’s a Swedish classic usually served with fried bacon and lingon berry jam. It’s extremely nostalgic to me, and I remember that it was a good day when you got it for lunch at school. Now as a “grown up”, I’ve realized it’s a great meal with carbs, protein, and some fat, and great to meal prep! For a more veggiefull version, I’ve substituted the smoki- and saltiness of the bacon with fried mushrooms flavoured with liquid smoke and soy sauce, but you serve it with whatever you like. Simply YUM!
Swedish Oven Pancake – “Ugnspannkaka”
A Swedish classic usually served with fried bacon and lingon berry jam. To substitute the smoki- and saltiness, this version is served with fried mushrooms flavoured with liquid smoke and soy sauce. YUM!
- Yield: 2-4 servings depending on hunger 1x
- 160g / 5,6 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 6dl / 21 oz milk
- 3 eggs
- A couple mushrooms, finely diced (more than you think per person)
- Soy sauce
- Liquid smoke
- Lingon berry jam or thawed lingon berries stirred with some sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 225C / 450F, and grease a oven proof ramekin, about 20x30cm / 8×12 inches.
- Mix the flour and salt. Add half the milk and mix until a smooth mixture.
- Stir in the remaining milk and eggs.
- Transfer to the prepared ramekin, and bake for 30-40 minutes. If it catches to much colour, cover with aluminum foil. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- While baking, pan fry the finely diced mushrooms in some oil and salt. Once it has gotten a lot of colour, turn off the heat, add a splash or two of soy sauce, a liiiittle splash of liquid smoke while stirring to coat all the mushroom.
- Slice up the ovine pancake, and serve with mushroom “bacon” and lingon berry jam!
Keywords: swedish, ugnspannkaka, pannkakor, svensk, klassisk, classic, vegeterian, vegetarisk, meal prep, matlådor, oven pancake, bacon, med fläsk