This probably is one of my absolute favourites through all time! I love this recipe of mine for chocolate muffins because they’re rich, fluffy, moist, and a chocolate lover’s dream. It’s made with “healthy” ingredients, but I remake it time after time because I genuinely prefer this to a sickly heavy and sweet muffin (even though I need to make a recipe for those too, AKA death by chocolate). So, I return to this recipe time after time for a delicious reason! But to make this THE ONE recipe for chocolate muffins, I’ve included the best nut of the world of baking, hazelnuts (!!), and a buttery delicious crumble topping. I love adding some texture contrast as well as butteri- and nuttiness to recipes with toasted nuts and a crumble toppings. Those two components just make any kind of baked good 10 times better. Not to forget, a gooey chocolatey middle should never be underestimated! Enough said, these are too delicious to waste more time on not making. So get to baking, and enjoy!
Double Chocolate Muffins with Buttery Crumble & Hazelnuts
Rich, nutty, gooey, chocolatey heavenliness in the shape of a muffin with the addition of a gooey chocolate center and buttery crumble topping, these are pure goodness! Hazelnuts and chocolate really are a match made in heaven! YUM!
- Yield: 6-8 hearty muffins 1x
- 25g / 0,9 oz butter
- 15g / 0,5 oz syrup of choice
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- A hearty pinch of salt
- 40g / 1,4 oz rolled oats
- About 20g / 0,8 oz toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- A handful of chocolate, roughly chopped
- 75g / 2,6 oz oat flour
- 50g / 1,75 oz cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milled flax or chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 200ml / 1 cup minus 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 25g / 0,9 oz granulated sweetener*
- 60g / 2,1 oz pitted dates
- 15g / 0,5 oz nut butter of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g / 1,1 oz dark chocolate, melted
- Optional but recommended about 75g chocolate broken into large pieces*
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and line a baking tray with 6 muffins liners.
- In a small bowl, crumble together the ingredients for the crumble using your fingers.
- In a large bowl mix the oat flour, cocoa, milled seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a blender, blend the milk, sugar, dates, nut butter, and vanilla smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Add the melted chocolate and chocolate chunks, and give another stir until incorporated.
- Divide the batter to the muffins liners, press down one to two large pieces of chocolate into the middle, top with the crumble, and bake for 18-21 minutes or until a tooth pick runs clean. Let cool and enjoy!
* I used a Dark Nougat Chocolate from Vivani for extra “hazelnuttiness”
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, glutenfria, veganska, nutella, recept, recipe, chocolate muffins, muffins, chokladmuffins, choklad, nougat, hazelnut, hasselnötter, hasselnöt, healthy, nyttiga, refined sugar free, rich, dark chocolate, crumble, smul,