Looking for a high value low effort bread to try out? This is it! This bread is not only delicious as is, but toasts wonderfully. The addition of poppy seeds to this bread makes even the most plain sandwich or toast slightly more luxurious and not bland at all. Simply delicious and next to fool proof to make! Not to forget, this toasted with butter and a pinch of flaky salt… oh lord… You’re in for a treat! Enjoy!
Easy Poppy Seed Loaf – The Perfect Toast
This loaf is fluffy and light, and has a gorgeous crust, character, and a perfect chew. With the addition of poppy seeds, this truly is the ULTIMATE toast bread. So good, so easy, and next to fool proof despite the sourdough!
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- 350g / 12,3 oz water
- 2g /0,07 oz (yes, only 2g) fresh yeast
- Optional 50g /1,75 sourdough starter (fed a 2–3 hours before baking)*, if skipped use 3-4g yeast
- 450g /15,8 oz flour**
- 1,5 tsp (10g) salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the water, yeast, and sourdough starter.
- Add the flour, salt, and poppy seeds, mix until uniform. The dough should and will be very sticky and quite wet. Cover the mixing bowl and let proof in room temperature 6-10 hours perhaps over night, depending on your room temperature.
- Transfer the dough to a well (more than you think) floured surface. Fold the dough into a package/loaf by stretching one side of the dough and folding it onto the dough. Repeat for all four sides. Let proof for 1,5-2h in a greased loaf pan.
- Preheat the oven to 225°C/450°F.
- Bake for around 40 minutes or until its inner temperature is 100C. Don’t be afraid of getting some colour on your bread. It’s what gives the bread extra taste. Take out, let cool completely, slice up, and enjoy!
*For a super easy sourdough starter guide, see this recipe for sourdough baguettes.
**I used Manitoba Cream a higher protein flour, but you can switch out at least 15% of the flour to a wholegrain alternative. Haven’t tried with a higher percentage whole grain, but wouldn’t surprise if it worked with more as well.
Keywords: rostbröd, toast, toast bread, homemade, vallmofrön, vallmobröd, poppy seed, sourdough bread, easy, beginner friendly, fool proof, recipe, hembakat bröd, recept, enkelt, surdeg, loaf, surdegbröd, kalljäst