Apple Cinnamon Crumble Squares with the Thickest Caramel Layer Ever
Apple cinnamon pie in the form of squares with the most delicious, thick caramel layer.
- Yield: 16 large squares 1x
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup oat and almond flour
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup rolled oats
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice
- 4 tbsp nut butter (or melted vegan butter or oil)
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1–1,5 dl / 1/3-1/2 cup of water
- 25 / 250g pitted dates
- 1/2–1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- A generous pinch of salt
- 200g / 7 oz apple of choice, diced or sliced
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Optionally 1/2 tsp of cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF ,and grease and prepare a baking pan. I used a square brownie pan with 19×19 cm / 7,5×7,5 inches dimensions.
- For the crumble, start with mixing all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sweetener, nut butter and water. Add the wet to the dry and toss/massage to combine.
- Transfer 2/3 of the crumble to the baking pan. Using your hands or a spoon press the crumble into a flat layer.
- Mix all the ingredients for the caramel smooth in a food processor or mixer. In a bowl, toss the chopped/sliced apple in the cinnamon and cardamom.
- Transfer the caramel to the baking pan, smooth out, and top with the apple and the rest of the crumble. Bake for 30-40 minutes until fully baked and golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing up and serving.
Keywords: Vegan, gluten free, healthy, apple, salted caramel, cinnamon
Is it 1 cup each of oat flour and almond flour, or 1 cup total?
1 cup in total. 🙂