Caramels, a treat most Swedes make for Christmas, made even better by adding brown butter. With the addition of nutty, sweet, and absolutely heavenly brown butter these cuties just melt in your mouth like a dream. Together with some chocolate, nuts, and flaky salt, these are even better! Not to forget some edible golden powder to make that special person eating them feel extra special! This really is a great treat to make for Christmas, but also to give as a Christmas present. I know I’d at least be very happy if I received a box full of this goodness!
Brown Butter Caramels with Nuts and Sea Salt – Brynt Smörkola med Nötter och Havssalt
A treat most Swedes make for Christmas made even better by adding brown butter. With the addition of nutty, sweet, and absolutely heavenly brown butter these cuties just melt in your mouth. Together with some chocolate, nuts, and flaky salt, these are even better!
- 200g / 7 oz butter
- 300g / 10,6 oz whipping cream
- 170g / 6 oz light brown sugar (“farin” sugar)
- 135g / 4,75 oz granulated sugar
- 200g / 7 oz light syrup
- A hearty pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- About 150g / 5,5 oz assorted roasted nuts, roughly chopped
- Melted chocolate for coating, optional
- Start with lining a heat proof square pan with parchment paper. I just folded mine to fit my pan, which was about 20x30cm.
- Brown the butter in a large pan. 200g becomes about 150g browned butter.
- Once browned, add the cream, sugars, syrup, salt, and vanilla to the butter and bring to a boil. Once the mixture has reached a temperature over 100C/210F, start taking a “glass water test“/”kulprovet” every now and then.
- Take of the heat and stir in the nuts once the mixture reaches a slightly firm and moldable texture but not too hard texture.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and let cool slightly before cutting into bite size pieces using a pair of scissors. Optionally dip in chocolate and place on plates lined with parchment paper or plastic wrap to set. Enjoy!
Keywords: brynt smör, kola, julkola, julknäck, knäck, Swedish, svensk. browned butter, candy, godis, jul, Christmas, sweets, recipe, recept, recipes, svenskt, ggodaste, bästa, nötter,