For a long time, I’ve wanted to make carrot cake. Recently, I found this trend to swirl cheese cake into baked goods. I tried it, but found it slightly too sweet when adding white chocolate to the mixture of already sweet and heavenly carrot cake with all its spices. Instead, I wanted something cheesy and not overly sweet to pair well and balance the carrot cake, and bring out its great sweet and spicy flavours. So instead of a cheese cake swirl, I’ve made this with a simple cream cheese swirl, which bakes wonderfully with the carrot cake. I myself am not actually a fan of frostings (as you can tell by the lack of frosting in my recipes), but this cream cheese swirl really does make the whole cake so much better!! These cuties are rich, creamy, kinda fudgy because of the swirl, and absolutely delicious! Also, I’ve made these vegan so they can be enjoyed regardless of preferences! Despite the lack of eggs and dairy, they do not lack flavour! Enjoy!
Look at those swirlsss! Pure goodness!
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Swirl
Classic carrot cake made with a slightly sweet but not overly sweet cheesy cream cheese swirl to balance all those flavours. Creamy, rich, fluffy, and delicious!
- Yield: 9 hearty bites 1x
- 80g / 2,8 oz aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 70g / 2,5 granulated sugar
- 40g / 1,4 oz light brown sugar
- 90g / 3,2 oz all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A hearty pinch of salt
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla sugar or splash of vanilla extract
- 1,5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1,5 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 100g / 3,5 oz finely shredded carrot, the excess liquid pressed out of
- 80g / 2,4 oz neutral oil
For the swirl
- 200g / 7 oz cream cheese
- 30g / 1,1 oz granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp potato starch
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF. Prepare a square pan by greasing and lining it with parchment paper. My pan was 18×18 cm / 7×7 inches.
- Start by beating the aquafaba and sugar to a soft meringue texture using an electric mixer.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry.
- Carefully, fold in the dry into the meringue. Then fold in the shredded carrot and oil.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Quickly, whip together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and starch.
- Dollop onto of the batter and swirl around using the end of a spoon.
- Bake in the bottom part of the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the pan. Take out, let cool, slice up, and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan carrot cake, carrot cake, carrot squares, vegan, veganska, morotskaka, vegansk, morot, recipe, recept, kaka, cake, carrot, cream cheese swirl, cream cheese, cheesecake, cheesecake swirl, vegan cheesecake,