Okay, so I love anything to do with chocolate as you’ve probably noticed by the trend in my recipes. I do also love a good brownie. Actually, I love it so much so if I could only make one dessert for the rest of my life, I think this brownie recipe would be it!
In Sweden, there’s something called Ryttarkaka, which is a combination of a coconut caramel AKA tosca layer and sticky chocolate brownie cake AKA kladdkaka. Here, I’ve instead made a ryttarkaka with THE absolute BEST brownie recipe out there. These brownie are superior to any other since they’re filled with choc’ chunks, gooey, chewy, and simply all you need in life. With the addition of salted caramel and toasted coconut, nothing beats this!! With that said, definitely let me know if you try this oooooey gooey piece of chocolatey goodness since hearing form you always makes my day! Enjoy!
Coconut Caramel Brownies A.K.A. Ryttarkaka
“Ryttarkaka” is a classic Swedish recipe that is a combination of our beloved “kladdkaka” (a super gooey chocolate brownie cake) and a “tosca” coconut caramel topping.
Here, I’ve made an even better version using my absolute favourite brownies, that are THE best. Together with a nutty coconut caramel topping that caramelises in the oven, it couldn’t be more delicious. Also, this version is vegan, and if you want to make it gluten free and with more wholesome ingredients, follow this brownie recipe instead.
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1,25dl strong brewed coffee*
- 120g butter or margarine, melted
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 220 g brown sugar**
- A splash of vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 120 g plain flour
- 90g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100g roughly chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 60g / 2,1 oz shredded coconut
- 6 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice***
- 2 tbsp nut butter of choice (I used tahini)
- A hearty pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF
- Stir together ground flax seeds and coffee and set aside to thicken.
- Prepare a square pan by greasing and lining it with parchment paper. My pan was 18×18 cm / 7×7 inches, which resulted with rather thick brownies.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and melted butter/margarine. Stir in the thickened flax seed mixture.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Fold in until it just comes together. Fold in the chocolate.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth out, and bake for 20 minutes depending on how thick your brownies are.
- Prepare the topping by stirring together all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- After the first 20 minutes, quickly take the brownies out, and dollop and spread the coconut topping on top. Let bake for an addition 10-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool before cutting up. Preferably, let cool in room temperature, and let sit in the fridge over night. They get better if they’re allowed to settle and firm up. Enjoy!
*can be subbed for water, but I strongly recommend using coffee for a deeper and more complex chocolate flavour. You won’t taste it!
**I used 100g dark muscovado and 120 brown sugar (farinsocker)
***I used regular light syrup, but maple syrup or most syrups should work.
Keywords: vegansk ryttarkaka, vegan brownies, coconut, caramel, tosca, healthy, gluten free, refined sugar free, nyttiga recept