Swedishness overload coming your way! “Chokladbollar” probably are the most typical Swedish treat known to man. “Chokladbollar” are creamy, sweet, buttery, and chocolately with a splendid mocha twist… *drooling* With such a description, you can’t blame us, Swedes, for loving “chokladbollar” as much as we do!
This recipe is a “healthier” version of the beloved treat. These bad boys will help you power through your day, without giving you a sugar overload or food coma. To be completely honest, these “chokladbollar” really taste like the traditional, and not like your regular raw/date energy balls. They’re not only delicious but so easy to make! Making a batch of of these only take 15 minutes or so. As you now understand, Swedes do not adore “chokladbollar” as much as they do without a reason.
I’m so happy with the result. Funnily, my brother actually randomly took one of the “chokladbollar”, while I was rolling them, and later asked, with the sound of doubt in his voice, if they were healthy. He really thought they were the regular “unhealthy” kind, and couldn’t taste any difference what so ever! I think that’s proof enough to prove that they taste just like the original!
Chocolate Mocca Oatballs A.K.A Chokladbollar
- Yield: 12 balls 1x
- 120g / 4 oz pitted dates
- 1–2 tbsp of nut butter of choice
- 4 tbsp strong coffee
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- A small pinch of salt
- A splash vanilla extract/essence
- Shredded coconut or pearl sugar for rolling
- Mash the dates in a bowl with a fork. If your dates aren’t soft enough, mix them in a blender or food processor with the coffee or soak them in warm water until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Take a little bit of the “dough”, around 1 tbsp, and roll in your hands into small balls. Roll in shredded coconut or pearl sugar. Serve or let firm up in the fridge.
Keywords: Veganska nyttiga chokladbollar, Swedish, Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened